Monday, May 7, 2012

Roosters and Lobsters!

Friday was another great day at the clinic. A lovely lady gifted me with two pretty paper-maché roosters, nice! How I will get them safely home on 3 different flights, I do not know!!

At the clinic with my two lovely roosters!!

I had an awesome weekend with Donna Hutchinson (one of the founders of Global Therapy) and the fabulous Hudicourt family. We spent today on a beach, a couple of hours drive from Port-au-Prince. We swam in the most beautiful turquoise ocean, ate lobster and lambi straight from the sea and enjoyed the beautiful country scenery. It has so much scope for mountain biking, hiking and watersports here, I was in awe!
It appears that Haiti has some incredible resources but lacks the organization to benefit from them. Haiti produces amazing fruit, great coffee and lots of rum, however, not much of it reaches the global market.


On the drive out of the city, I was fascinated to see mile after mile of transitional shelters set up for the many thousands who's homes were devastated in the earthquake. At its peak, one and a half million people were living in camps. Tremendous efforts have been made to re-home hundreds of thousands, however, there are still some 300-400 thousand people living in tent slums. 


At the clinic, I made the mistake of asking one gentleman patient to practice his hip flexion/knee extension on a step at home, he was a bit reluctant, then I realised that he lives in a tent, I felt a bit insensitive, oops! I later met the same gentleman desperately begging on the street.

Donna admiring the stunning view!

A local kid doing a dance for us!


Enjoying the beautiful sea with Jessica.


The fisherman bringing in fresh lobster!! YUM





No comments:

Post a Comment